Sunday, July 29, 2012

Adventure: Anchors Aweigh!

Day One

Summer had almost gone. It has passed without traveling, without one visiting my friend nature even once. Instead I had been demolishing and constructing parts of a house. Don't misunderstand me, it really has been one of the best summers I have had. Coming home after work, covered in paint and dust, I sort of felt as if I had been the day itself, newborn in the morning, old and torn in the evening. But something was missing...

With a heart trembling of anxiety and hunger for adventure I one day simply decided: anchors aweigh! It is my third year with the boat I bought three years ago, and not once have I gone to sail for more than a day. Well, it took me a while to transform it from this...


... to this...


But after thorough scrubbing, painting, sewing and planning, it's actually a boat that is at least, as good as any other boat. A journey starts with taking a first step, so I did, and planned a four-day journey. After I had left behind the first cape, I felt a fine stream of clear air flow through me. My veins were filled with the cleanest air, gusting away worries, thoughts, aching bones and time- the past and the future, leaving only the present. Clean, clear, transparent, I swept over the lake as the wind blew steady from the east. Away and away I blew as the sun set leaving the sky bleeding, the clouds trumpeting a silent farewell for the day that would never come again. But dark, it was not, for life went on. The eternal journey of the clouds would go ever and on and on. Being there in that moment, I felt that I would too, go ever on and on. The wind blew me lazily on waters shifting in copper  to my first harbor: Björkö. As soon as I had moored at the pier, I felt the light dim over the horizon to my adventure. I grew tired and was, a bit violently, rocked to sleep as the wind had caused a slow rumbling underneath the surface of the lake...



No comments:

Post a Comment